Saturday, June 24, 2017

Last days of my Artist Residency

It's hard to believe my four weeks at Weir Farm are almost at an end! Still lots to do before I leave. I have seven paintings in various stages of completion. (I never quite know if it's finished, until it's signed and framed.)

As you already know, this is the home of Julian Alden Weir. He is one of "The Ten" a renowned group of 10 American painters who frequently worked and exhibited together. Many attended the École des Beaux-Arts in France, as Weir did, studying with Jean-Léon Gérôme and becoming friends with the likes of Jules Bastien-Lepage and John Singer Sargent. Not bad company!


Weir's rural home became a gathering place for artists to leave the city and paint en plein air. The artistic tradition continues through the efforts of the Weir Farm Art Center which coordinates the residency, choosing individual artists to hunker down in the cottage and studio. Their gift is uninterrupted time for artists working in a variety of genre or media.

(Well, it hasn't always been solitary for me as a few artists and friends have come by to see what's going on. And some got creative as well. I see more plein air outings in our future.)

Laura and Leslie confer and critique

I think I have had a pretty conscientious studio habit, but I hoped that being here with nothing but my own initiative and inspiration would help me learn a little more about my creative process - including recognizing obstacles. I'm still figuring it all out, but it has been a valuable, dedicated time, focused on my art process.

It's so peaceful here and one of the new habits that was easy to fall into is taking a walk each day. After wandering the natural beauty of the woods and walkways I step into the studio feeling more connected to my work. Being refreshed and relaxed makes creative effort flow more naturally. Nice!

Here is a foggy morning view from one of my walks. This is the Burlingham house, home of Cora Weir Burlingham. It's now the visitors center but still maintains charming, historic architectural details. What a way to start the day.

walk in the fog

All my completed - and nearly-completed - Weir Farm paintings will be on view this Monday during an end-of-residency Artist Talk at the Wilton Library. If you'd like to take a look, and a listen, come by at 6 pm. It will be a casual talk, until about 6:45 or 7. Or, if you have questions about the residency please comment below and I'll answer whatever I can. Anyone interested in applying should check out the website early. Although applications aren't due until October, letters of recommendation are required and those can take time to gather.

Meanwhile... here is the latest unfinished painting - the foyer of the Weir home. This one is all about patterns: wallpaper, carpets, bookcase. Why do I do this?! I always start out loving patterns... and then they make me crazy for awhile. Eventually it will be finished. Maybe by Monday's presentation. Hmmm, probably not.

Weir Farm, historic home
work in progress of interior of Weir home

Moving beyond this month's exercise in interiors, we will be spending time among Dutch artists and architecture. I predict a return to classic still life coming soon!

Thanks for coming along on m art journey! And if you are in the area, journey to Weir Farm this summer for your own enriching visit.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!