Tuesday, May 22, 2012

just say NO!

Oh what a week!

Painting is challenging, but you know what's really hard? Committing to yourself as wholeheartedly as you do to other people and responsibilities.

And by "you" of course, I mean "me."

This week I was busy with projects for our choral group. Somehow, I let that take over my life and I never got into the studio. While I feel very good about working with the chorale, I don't feel so good about letting myself... and my artwork... down.

I think I need an attitude adjustment.

Creating artwork is so enjoyable that even though it's called artWORK, the word doesn't quite fit. So I need to remind myself that this is what I want to do in life. My work.

Oddly, I feel more comfortable describing myself as a "painter" than an "artist." Somehow it feels like painter is more of a "doing" role than artist which is kind of philosophical, emotional or cerebral, maybe. To paint well you've gotta be in the studio consistently, doing the job of painting.

It was a long and windy road, but I think I got there: I am a painter. That's what I do and how I hope to earn a living... which means studio time matters!

Fellow painters - How do you keep from letting distractions take over your studio time?
At the risk of distracting you... tell me how you manage to just say no.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your website.. Excellent colors & theme.
    Did you develop this site yourself? Please reply back as I'm hoping to create my own personal blog and would like to find out where you got this from or
    what the theme is named. Kudos!

    my web-site: tunique de danse classique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My website was created with Go Daddy based on their Art & Style template. My blog is via Blogger and I customized one of their basic templates with my own colors etc. Blogger is very easy to maneuver. I used web-friendly RGB color formulas from Photoshop to choose the colors. It was very much trial and error but I like the simplicity of the design and consistency of color to offset artwork.
      Thanks again for your kind words.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!